Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Thanks God For The Skittles (And All The Little Things)

As you know if you've visited my website before, I usually use this forum to talk about mixed martial arts. Tonight, however, I have something else on my mind and thought I would share it with you. So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride...



Today was a pretty ordinary day at my job. I had put in my normal 5 hours before lunch (I typically go to lunch around 1 PM) and was ready to get something to eat with a coworker. We went and ate lunch at one of our favorite places and when I got done I really had a hankerin' (that's a desire or want for those of you who are not from the south) for some Skittles. Now I knew that there was a machine at work that carried Skittles, however, I had resided to myself that if I had to spend a dollar bill to get them (versus using change) that I didn't need them. So as my coworker and I were leaving the parking lot of this restaurant, I saw some change on the ground. While it was mostly pennies among them was a bright, shiny new quarter. I reached down and picked it up thinking "I'll save this for later, it might come in handy."

When we got back to work, I got out of my friends car and noticed that there was a jingle coming from my left pocket. I usually don't carry change with me so feverishly I checked my pocket and noticed that the cashier from the restaurant had given me $0.60 back in change. Along with the quarter I picked up in the parking lot that made $0.85, just enough to get the Skittles I so desperately wanted. As my coworker and I walked up to the employee entrance at work, I said to him "God has smiled on me." My coworker just laughed as we went inside and clocked in. When I went back to the breakroom, I enthusiastically put my money in the machine and punched in the number to retrieve my Skittles. When the package dropped, I noticed I got the last one. Now some people might look at this and say "What luck! I got the last pack." I took it as a sign, apparently God knew just how much I needed those Skittles.

While this story may seem kind of silly, it got me thinking of how we forget to thank God for the little things. You know what I'm talking about, all the things we take for granted. Things like a sunny morning or a good friend or maybe, just maybe a package of Skittles when you needed it. You see there is so much I feel like I take for granted sometimes but if it was ever taken away I would be devastated. These are the things that, while I feel thankful to have them, I forget to thank God for them. So I urge you today and everyday to thank God for the little things in your life and always remember James 1:17: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

1 comment:

  1. Remembering to say "thanks, God" is something I forget to do too sometimes. Even when we forget Him, He never forgets us, even with the little things in life. "His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me"

    ReplyDelete